Chaulai Saag, also known as Amaranth Leaves Fry, is a dish made using red amaranth leaves, also known as red spinach or Chinese spinach. The leaves are stir-fried with a variety of flavorful ingredients to create a delicious and healthy dish.
Here is a simple recipe for Chaulai Saag:
- 2 cups of red amaranth leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1/4 cup of water (or as needed)
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until it turns golden brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add the red amaranth leaves and stir well.
- Add the salt and water and stir well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the dish cook for about 5 minutes or until the leaves are wilted and tender.
- Remove the lid and cook for an additional 2 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Serve the Chaulai Saag as a side dish or over rice.
This dish is a staple in Indian cuisine, particularly in North India. Chaulai Saag is a delicious and healthy dish that is packed with nutrients and flavor. The red amaranth leaves are a great source of vitamins and minerals, and the spices used in the dish add depth of flavor. It is also a vegan, gluten-free and low-calorie dish. It can be enjoyed with chapatis, parathas, or rice.