Chaulai saag, also known as Lal saag, is a popular Indian dish made with fresh amaranth leaves, which are also referred to as “red amaranth leaves” due to its bright red color. The dish is typically made by cooking the amaranth leaves with spices such as ginger, garlic, and onion. It can be enjoyed with roti or rice.
Here is a basic recipe for cooking Chaulai saag:
- 2 cups of fresh red amaranth leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1-2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons oil or ghee
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions, garlic, and ginger, and sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the green chilies, turmeric powder, cumin powder, and salt, and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped amaranth leaves and stir well.
- Cover the pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until the leaves are wilted and tender.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve hot with rice or roti.
Note: You can add other leafy greens like spinach to make it more nutritious.