Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is a famous dish from the Indian city of Hyderabad, known for its rich and flavorful spices. Here is a basic recipe to help you cook it at home:
- 1 kg chicken (cut into small pieces)
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fried onions
- 1 cup ghee or oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- Soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
- In a pan, heat ghee or oil and sauté the sliced onions until they are golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the yogurt, mint leaves, and cilantro leaves. Mix well and cook for a few more minutes.
- Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pan. Mix well and add enough water to cook the rice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook until the rice is fully cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove the pan from heat and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Add the fried onions on top and mix well.
- Serve the Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani hot with raita or chutney.
This recipe is a basic version of the dish and you can adjust the quantity of spices and ingredients according to your taste. You can also add or substitute some other ingredients like saffron, green chilies, cashews or almonds to enhance the flavor.