Laal Saag, also known as Red Amarnath Leaves curry, is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that is made using the red amaranth leaves. It is a hearty and flavorful dish that is commonly made in North Indian households, and is usually served with roti or rice.
Here is a simple recipe for Laal Saag:
- 2 cups of red amarnath leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until it turns golden brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they turn soft.
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add the red amarnath leaves and stir well.
- Add the salt and water, stir well and let it cook for 5 minutes or until the leaves are wilted and the flavors are well combined.
- Serve the Laal Saag with roti or rice.
You can adjust the spices and herbs according to your taste preference. Some people also add diced potatoes to this dish for added texture and flavor.