Ajwain Rasam, also known as Omam Rasam or Vaamu Charu, is a popular South Indian dish made with ajwain seeds, tamarind and a blend of spices. It is a tangy and flavorful soup that is typically served as a side dish with rice. The recipe for Ajwain Rasam is as follows:
- 1/4 cup of tamarind pulp
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp of ajwain seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of urad dal
- 1 tsp of chana dal
- 1 tsp of peanuts
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2 dry red chilies
- 2 tbsp of oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro
- Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes. Squeeze the pulp and strain the water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add ajwain seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, peanuts, and sesame seeds.
- Once the seeds start to crackle, add curry leaves and dry red chilies.
- Add the tamarind water to the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add salt to taste and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice.
Ajwain Rasam is a popular and flavorful dish from South India, it is a great way to incorporate ajwain seeds in your diet, and it can be enjoyed as a side dish or as a main course. Ajwain seeds have many health benefits, they are known to aid digestion and also help to relieve stomach aches and gas. Ajwain