- 500 grams bitter gourd (kakarakaya or karela)
- 2 medium sized onions
- 2-3 green chilies
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup tamarind pulp
- 2 cups water
- Wash and slice the bitter gourd into thin rounds.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once they start to crackle, add cumin seeds, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and sauté for a minute.
- Add sliced onions, green chilies, and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the sliced bitter gourd and mix well.
- Add tamarind pulp, water, and salt. Mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the bitter gourd is tender and the gravy thickens.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
Note: To reduce the bitterness, soak the sliced bitter gourd in salt water for about 30 minutes and then rinse it well before cooking. You can also add a teaspoon of jaggery or sugar to the curry. Adjust the amount of tamarind pulp and red chili powder to taste.
Leave a Reply