To make black gram chutney (also known as Minapappu Pacchadi or Urad Dal Chutney), you will need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup black gram (urad dal)
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1-2 dry red chilies
- 1/4 cup water
- Soak the black gram in water for 2-3 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the soaked black gram, green chilies, and salt to a smooth paste using a little water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and asafoetida. Let them splutter.
- Add the dry red chilies and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the ground paste and stir well.
- Add the grated coconut and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add water as needed to get the desired consistency.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the chutney thickens.
- Serve with idli, dosa, or vada.
Note: You can add tamarind paste or lemon juice to taste for a tangy flavor.