Finger millet idiyappam, also known as Ragi idiyappam, is a traditional South Indian dish made with finger millet flour (also known as ragi flour) and rice flour. To make Ragi idiyappam, you will need:
- 1 cup finger millet flour (ragi flour)
- 1 cup rice flour
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as needed
- In a mixing bowl, combine the finger millet flour, rice flour and salt.
- Gradually add water, and mix to form a soft dough.
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll it into a ball.
- Place the dough ball into the idiyappam press and press out the idiyappam onto a plate.
- Repeat the process until all of the dough is used.
- Steam the idiyappam for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve hot with your desired curry or chutney.
Ragi Nool Puttu, is a variation of idiyappam, which is made with finger millet flour, grated coconut and salt. It’s made by mixing these ingredients and then steaming it.
Ragi Noolappam is another variation, which is made by mixing finger millet flour, rice flour, grated coconut and salt, then frying it in oil, similar to appam.