Katte Pongal, also known as Ven Pongal, is a traditional South Indian breakfast dish made from rice and lentils. It is a popular dish in Tamil Nadu and is typically served with sambar and chutney. To make this recipe, you will need:
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- In a pan, dry roast the rice and moong dal until they turn golden brown.
- In a pressure cooker, add the roasted rice and moong dal, water, and salt, and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- In another pan, heat ghee and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, black pepper powder, ginger, green chilies, curry leaves, and asafoetida.
- Once the seeds start to crackle, add this tempering to the cooked rice and dal mixture and mix well.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious Katte Pongal.
This recipe is a great source of protein and carbohydrates, it is a perfect breakfast dish and it is also easy to make. You can also add more ghee and spices according to your taste preference. You can also make this recipe with any type of rice or lentils that you have on hand. This dish is also gluten-free.
Leave a Reply