Khuska Pulao, also known as Khuska Biryani, is a flavorful and aromatic dish made with rice, vegetables, and a variety of spices. It is a traditional dish from the Hyderabadi cuisine and is known for its unique and aromatic flavors. Unlike traditional Biryani dishes, it is not cooked with meat but with vegetables, making it a vegetarian dish. Here is a simple recipe for making Khuska Pulao:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, bell peppers)
- 2-3 green chilies, slit
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- 2-3 saffron strands
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ghee
- Rinse the rice in water and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the cumin seeds and wait for them to crackle.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, ginger, green chilies, and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the mixed vegetables, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the soaked rice, water, cilantro and saffron strands and bring to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and stir in the ghee.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- You can adjust the spiciness of the dish by adding more or less red chili powder as per your preference.
- You can also add some more vegetables like mushrooms, bok choy, or cauliflower for added nutrition and flavor.
- You can also add some nuts like cashews or raisins for added texture and flavor.
Leave a Reply