No Onion Garlic Tomato Coconut Pulao, also known as Tomato Coconut Pulav, is a delicious and flavorful dish made with rice, tomatoes, and coconut. It is a popular dish in South India, and is often served as a main course. It is a No Onion Garlic recipe which can be made for fasting days or for those who prefer not to consume onion and garlic. Here is a simple recipe for making Tomato Coconut Pulao:
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Rinse and soak Basmati rice for 20-30 minutes and then drain.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Once hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Once the seeds start to crackle, add the chopped tomatoes, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder (if using) and salt. Mix well and cook until the tomatoes are soft and the oil starts to separate.
- Add the grated coconut and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the drained rice and mix well.
- Now add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is cooked and all the water is absorbed. (Approx 18-20 minutes)
- Once done, fluff up the rice with a fork, and garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot.
Note: You can adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding more water as per your preference. Also, you can add some cashew nuts and raisins for more flavor and texture.
Leave a Reply