- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup ghee or oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup mint leaves (pudina), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- In a pot or a pan, heat ghee or oil and add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Let them sizzle for a minute.
- Add the soaked and drained rice and stir well.
- Add the mint leaves, coriander leaves, green peas (if using) and salt. Mix well.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let it cook for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve hot.
Note: You can also add some chopped vegetables or grilled chicken or paneer to make it a complete meal. Adjust the water-to-rice ratio as needed to get the desired consistency of the rice. You can also use chicken/vegetable stock instead of plain water for added flavor.
Leave a Reply