Red Amaranth Dry Curry, also known as Lal Saag ki Subzi, is a popular dish in Indian cuisine made with red amaranth leaves, also known as Lal Saag. It is a simple and healthy dish that is typically eaten as a side dish with rice or roti. Unlike other curries which are made with a saucy base, this curry is dry and has a texture closer to a stir fry.
Here is a basic recipe for making Red Amaranth Dry Curry:
- 2 cups red amaranth leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- Rinse the red amaranth leaves in water and chop them roughly
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, once they start to splutter add chopped red amaranth leaves
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and salt, and sauté for a few minutes until the leaves are wilted
- Add garam masala powder, mix well and cook for another minute.
- Remove from heat and serve as a side dish with rice or roti.
Note: You can add other vegetables like onions, tomatoes, or potatoes for added flavor and nutrition. You can also adjust the amount of spices as per your taste preference.