Sambar is a popular South Indian dish that is made with a combination of lentils, vegetables, and a blend of spices. It is typically served with rice, idli, dosa, or vada. Here is a recipe for making Sambar with Sambar powder:
- 1 cup toor dal (split pigeon peas)
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables (such as drumsticks, eggplant, carrots, okra, and tomatoes)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp sambar powder
- 2-3 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- 2-3 curry leaves
- Salt, to taste
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Cook the toor dal in a pressure cooker or in a pot with enough water and a pinch of turmeric powder until it is soft and mushy.
- In a separate pan, heat oil over medium heat and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal, dried red chilies, and curry leaves.
- When the seeds start to splutter, add the chopped onion and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add the mixed vegetables and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sambar powder, tamarind paste, and enough water to make a thick gravy.
- Let it simmer for 10