Semiya Pulihora, also known as Semiya Lemon Pulihora, is a popular South Indian dish made with vermicelli, also known as semiya, and a tangy lemon-based sauce. It is typically flavored with a variety of spices such as mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and red chili powder, and is often served as a main course or as a snack. Here is a simple recipe for making Semiya Pulihora:
- 1 cup vermicelli (semiya)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 1 teaspoon peanuts
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal, peanuts, sesame seeds, curry leaves, and green chilies.
- Once the seeds start to crackle, add the vermicelli and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until it is lightly golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to low and add red chili powder, salt and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the vermicelli is cooked through and the lemon juice is well absorbed.
- Once done, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot.
Note: You can adjust the spiciness and tanginess of the dish according to your preference. You can also add vegetables like diced carrots, green peas, or beans for more flavor and nutrition.