Soya Kurma, also known as Meal Maker Kurma, is a delicious and nutritious dish made with soya chunks and a flavorful coconut-based gravy. It is a popular dish in South India, and is often served with rice or roti. Here is a simple recipe for making Soya Kurma:
- 1 cup soya chunks, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 2 dried red chili (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Once hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds (if using), and dried red chili (if using).
- Once the seeds start to crackle, add the chopped onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder (if using) and salt. Mix well and cook until the tomatoes are soft and the oil starts to separate.
- Add the soaked and squeezed soya chunks and mix well.
- Now add 1 cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Then add grated coconut and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the soya chunks are cooked.
- Once done, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti.
Note: You can adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding more water as per your preference. Also, you can add some garam masala powder for more flavor.
Leave a Reply