Sweet Coconut Rice, also known as Bellam Kobbarannam, is a popular and sweet dish made with rice and fresh grated coconut. It is flavored with jaggery and a variety of spices, and is often served as a dessert. It is a famous dish in the Andhra Pradesh, India. Here is a simple recipe for making Sweet Coconut Rice:
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon cashews
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- a pinch of salt
- Rinse the rice in water and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- In a pan, add water and bring it to boil. Add soaked rice and pinch of salt. Cook the rice until it is fully cooked and the water is absorbed.
- In another pan, heat the ghee and add cashews and raisins. Fry until the cashews turn golden brown and the raisins puff up. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add grated coconut, jaggery, and cardamom powder and cook until jaggery dissolves and mixture thickens.
- Once the jaggery mixture thickens, add cooked rice and mix well until the rice is well coated with the jaggery mixture.
- Add the fried cashews and raisins.
- Serve hot or warm, as desired.
- You can adjust the sweetness of the dish by adding more or less jaggery as per your preference.
- You can also add more ghee for more rich flavor.
- You can also add some food color if you like for more vibrant look.
- You can also add some nuts like almonds or pistachios for more flavor and texture.
- To make it healthier you can use brown jaggery instead of white jaggery.