To make Spicy Tomato Chicken Curry with Thick gravy (also known as Tomato Chicken or Thick Gravy Chicken Curry) you will need the following ingredients:
- 500g boneless chicken
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, pureed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or yogurt (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onions, ginger, garlic, and green chilies until onions turn golden brown.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add pureed tomatoes and cook until the oil starts to separate from the masala.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until the chicken is browned on all sides.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- If desired, add the heavy cream or yogurt and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
Note: You can adjust the amount of spices according to your taste preference. You can also use tomato puree instead of fresh tomatoes. You can also add other vegetables like bell pepper or carrots for a variation.