Thepla is a delicious and versatile Indian flatbread that can be enjoyed in many ways. The combination of wheat flour and chickpea flour (besan) gives it a unique texture and nutty flavor. The addition of spices like turmeric, red chili powder, and cumin-coriander powder give it a nice taste. Thepla can be served with various types of Indian curries or chutneys, and it can be enjoyed as a breakfast, lunch, or dinner. You can also make it more nutritious by adding vegetables like grated carrots, spinach, or fenugreek leaves to the dough.
How to Cook?
Here is a recipe for cooking yummy thepla:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup besan (chickpea flour)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 2 tbsp oil
- Water as required
- In a mixing bowl, combine the wheat flour, besan, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin-coriander powder, asafoetida, and oil.
- Slowly add water and knead the mixture until it forms a soft and smooth dough. Cover the dough and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls, about the size of a golf ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball of dough into a small, round thepla.
- Heat a tawa or a griddle over medium heat.
- Carefully place the theplas on the hot tawa and cook until both sides are golden brown and crispy.
- Using a spatula, remove the theplas from the tawa and drain them on a paper towel.
- Serve hot with your choice of curry or chutney.
Note: You can also add some finely chopped green chili, ginger, and cumin seeds to the dough if you like. You can also add some yogurt
Leave a Reply