Besan Halwa is a popular Indian sweet dish made with gram flour, sugar, ghee, and a variety of nuts and spices. It is typically served as a dessert or as a sweet snack.
Here is a basic recipe for Besan Halwa with some tips:
- 2 cups of gram flour (besan)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of ghee
- 1/2 cup of chopped nuts (such as almonds, cashews, and pistachios)
- 2 tsp of cardamom powder
- A pinch of saffron (optional)
- Heat ghee in a pan, add the gram flour and roast it on a low flame until it turns golden brown and gives off a nutty aroma.
- Add water, sugar, and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- Cook until the mixture thickens and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Add chopped nuts, cardamom powder, saffron, and mix well.
- Cook for a few more minutes until the halwa is thick and smooth.
- Garnish with more chopped nuts, and serve hot or warm.
- Roasting the besan on a low flame is important to avoid burning and to get the nutty aroma.
- Keep stirring the mixture to avoid lumps and to cook the besan evenly.
- You can adjust the sweetness according to your preference.
- You can also add some food color to give it an attractive look.
- You can also serve the Besan Halwa cold, by refrigerating it for a while.
Note: Besan Halwa is a very popular sweet in India, and it’s a great dessert to enjoy after a meal.