Kaju Makhana Curry, also known as Phool Makhana Gravy Curry, is a traditional Indian dish made from cashews and lotus seeds (makhana) cooked in a flavorful tomato and onion-based gravy. The dish is typically served as a side dish with rice or roti. Here is a recipe to make it:
- 1 cup cashews (kaju)
- 1 cup makhana (lotus seeds)
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as needed
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté until they turn mushy.
- Add the cashews, makhana, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the yogurt, salt, and enough water to make a thick gravy. Mix it well.
- Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down for a few minutes.
- Serve the Kaju Makhana curry hot as a side dish with rice or roti.
Note: You can adjust the quantity of red chili powder, yogurt and salt as per your taste and preference. And also you can add some chopped nuts like cashews or raisins to enhance the flavors.
Leave a Reply