Cabbage Kurma, also known as Cabbage Saagu or Cabbage Curry, is a popular Indian dish from the state of KarnATAKA. It is made with cabbage, coconut, and a variety of spices and is typically served with rice or Indian flatbreads such as roti or naan.
Here is a basic recipe for Cabbage Kurma:
- 1 head of cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala powder
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of urad dal
- 1 tsp of chana dal
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 1 cup of water
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal, sesame seeds, dried red chilies, curry leaves, and sauté until the dals turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped cabbage, green chilies, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the grated coconut and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the curry for 10-15 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked through and the curry thickens.
- Serve the Cabbage Kurma hot with rice or Indian flatbreads.
Note: You can adjust the level of spiciness according to your preference. You can also add some chopped onions, tomatoes, or cashews to the curry for extra flavor.
Leave a Reply