Sweet Potato Pulusu, also known as Sakkaraivalli Kulambu or Spicy Chilakadadumpla pulusu, is a traditional dish from Andhra Pradesh, India. It is a spicy stew made with sweet potatoes, tamarind, and a variety of spices. It is typically served with steamed rice and is a popular dish in Andhra Pradesh. The sweet potatoes are cooked in a tamarind based sauce which gives it a tangy taste, and a mix of spices like chili powder and coriander powder that gives it a spicy taste.
- 2 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup tamarind paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In a pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, and asafoetida. Once they splutter, add the dry red chilies.
- Add the sweet potatoes and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the tamarind paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the stew simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Serve the stew with steamed rice.
Note: You can adjust the level of spice according to your preference.
Enjoy your Sweet Potato Pulusu | Sakkaraivalli Kulambu | Spicy Chilakadadumpla pulusu
Leave a Reply