Carrot Moong Dal Sabji is a simple and delicious dish made with carrots, moong dal (split green gram) and Indian spices. Here is a recipe that you can use as a starting point:
- 1 cup of moong dal (split green gram)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of grated carrots
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Rinse the moong dal in water and soak it for 30 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, add the soaked moong dal, grated carrots, and 2 cups of water.
- Cook for 2-3 whistles or until the dal and carrots are cooked through.
- In a pan, heat the ghee or oil and add the onions. Cook until they are translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they are soft and mushy.
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal and carrots to the pan and mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves before serving.
- Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!
You can also add some other veggies like green beans, peas to make it more nutritious.