Harive Soppu Bendi, also known as Amaranth leaves curry, is a traditional dish from the Indian state of KarnATAKA. It is made with Amaranth leaves (harive soppu in Kannada) which are known for its high nutritional value, and mixed with vegetables like Bendi (okra) or eggplant. This dish is typically served with rice or roti.
- 1 bunch of amaranth leaves (harive soppu), washed and chopped
- 1 cup bendi (okra) or eggplant cut into small pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, let them crackle.
- Add onion, garlic, and green chilies. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped amaranth leaves, eggplant or okra and stir well.
- Add salt and enough water to cover the vegetables. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
Note: You can adjust the spice level to your preference. Some variations of the recipe also call for adding grated coconut or tamarind paste to the dish.